Welcome to My Blog

Welcome to my blog! My hope is to pass along ideas you will enjoy using in your homes and in your lives. No, I am not Oprah, giving you life advice or Nate Berkus redoing your pantry. My point of view is more practical if not occasionally foo-foo. Decorating should be fun and you should change your decor often. My ideas and vintage finds will help you do just that. Oh, and you may get some fun personal and family stories. We are a small family but we do a lot!



Since I started my blog a couple of years ago, I find I am writing more about "ideas" for your life. Or at least, things that happen in my life! Hopefully I put a smile on your face and help you set your dinner table.




Monday, December 13, 2010

Serving Pieces and Specialized Place Setting Pieces


In an earlier post I showed a Pierced Casserole Spoon which belonged to my mother. I mentioned that I remembered a meat fork that went with the spoon. Well, not only did I find the meat fork, I found another pierced casserole spoon and a ladle. The pierced casserole spoon shown here is a slightly different shape from the first mentioned in my blog. This one is an oval shape but the use is the same. The ladle in this set is rather large and should be used for serving soups from a tureen.
This beautiful elaborate carving set is part of my mother's sterling. My parents were married in 1933 but my research says this pattern dates to 1905. We still use this set at Thanksgiving an Christmas for serving turkey, ham and rib roast. The pieces are monogrammed with my mother's three initials. Although the knife is meant for carving meats, this one has cut many wedding cakes. My mother sometimes made wedding cakes for friends. The cakes were beautiful. I loved to watch her make each icing rose by hand. This was before the methods used today which are quite pretty but lack the attention, skill and patience, not to mention elegant good taste, of those cakes from the 50's and 60's. Along with the cake she would let the bride use this knife to cut her cake. Mother would tie a tiny bouquet of fresh flowers with satin ribbon on the handle. I used this knife to cut the cake at my wedding and hopefully my daughter will use it at her wedding.


This is a set of six sterling soup spoons. There are bouillon, creme and gumbo soup spoons. These three types range in size from five to eight inches. My spoons above fall between bouillon and creme soup spoons. I have a set of covered Italian soup bowls that work perfectly with these spoons.
Oh, my favorite piece of silver, the caviar fork. My husband and daughter eat caviar and even seem to know the difference in cheap caviar and good caviar. Other than a dollop on top of a deviled egg or atop a daub of sour cream, I do not indulge! The design of the caviar fork is quite useful. The wide tine enables one to scoop up the tiny fish eggs and the closely spaced smaller tines keep the morsels from falling through. These are of a simple pattern which blends well with whatever your flatware design is.  The caviar fork is small, about five to six inches in length.
Once again, here are some of the demitasse spoons in my collection. They are indented for use with espresso or any strong coffee served in a demitasse cup. They are like mini-teaspoons measuring four to
five inches in length

No comments:

Post a Comment