Welcome to My Blog

Welcome to my blog! My hope is to pass along ideas you will enjoy using in your homes and in your lives. No, I am not Oprah, giving you life advice or Nate Berkus redoing your pantry. My point of view is more practical if not occasionally foo-foo. Decorating should be fun and you should change your decor often. My ideas and vintage finds will help you do just that. Oh, and you may get some fun personal and family stories. We are a small family but we do a lot!



Since I started my blog a couple of years ago, I find I am writing more about "ideas" for your life. Or at least, things that happen in my life! Hopefully I put a smile on your face and help you set your dinner table.




Sunday, February 5, 2012

Wedding Chills and Thrills

Long before our daughter's wedding day, I made up faux bouquets. This was mainly for my daughter's approval and to get an idea of how these hand-tied bouquets are made. I chose white roses and white hydrangeas for her bouquet. For myself and the mother-of-the-groom I wanted tiny sweetheart roses also in white. I love the recent custom of the two mother's having small bouquets. Corsages have never been my favorite way to wear flowers and this was the perfect occasion to drop the custom!

Unfortunately, when I talked to florists in New York I found sweetheart roses would have to be special ordered and perhaps not available at all. Living in California we are spoiled with the availability of just about any flower at any time of the year.You'll see what we ended up with in a later post. Have no fear, the bouquets were wonderful.

Notice the two beautiful vintage rhinestone pins on the bouquets. They both belonged to my mother. I have many memories of mother in one of her many black cocktail dresses with one of these pins on. Although wearing rhinestones during the day was a little bold in the 50's, in the 60's she started to wear these sparkling pins on her suits. Usually she wore matching rhinestore earrings to complete the look. They seemed perfect for the day.

2 comments:

  1. How sweet to use your mother's pins for the flowers. I pinned my grandmother's pin inside my dress on my wedding day. Wish I had this bouquet for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother was the best mother ever and my daughter loved her Nanny very much. We could not think of her wedding day without Nanny being present. As we were leaving our apartment for Central Park we quickly went over the something old, something new, something borrowered and something blue. The something old was the pin, the something new was the wedding gown, something blue was a satin bow what held a tiny silk flower made from the silk illusion of my wedding veil. We had forgotten the something borrowed. On my husband's leather jacket he always takes to New York in the winter, was a Presidential pin our daughter had given him when she was in college. Law school and moving to Liberal New York have somewhat seperated our political views over the years, but the pin was her choice for the borrowed item. She pinned it under one of the ruffles on the front of her dress.

    ReplyDelete