Welcome to My Blog

Welcome to my blog! My hope is to pass along ideas you will enjoy using in your homes and in your lives. No, I am not Oprah, giving you life advice or Nate Berkus redoing your pantry. My point of view is more practical if not occasionally foo-foo. Decorating should be fun and you should change your decor often. My ideas and vintage finds will help you do just that. Oh, and you may get some fun personal and family stories. We are a small family but we do a lot!



Since I started my blog a couple of years ago, I find I am writing more about "ideas" for your life. Or at least, things that happen in my life! Hopefully I put a smile on your face and help you set your dinner table.




Thursday, September 30, 2010

Candellarbras and Chalkboards

Five branch candelabra with punch cups, glass beads and prisms
           Candelabras are always popular especially with the holidays approaching. The warm glow of candles makes your home so cozy and inviting. Years ago I started altering candelabras by adding bone china teacups. The flicker of the candle shows through the teacup. That idea progressed and now I mostly use vintage punch cups atop various branched candelabras. A friend told me she uses different color votive candles in hers and I have adopted that look. What you get is a cheerful accent piece whether the candles are glowing or not. 
     Chalkboards come in all sizes from tabletop to very large suitable to hang solo as the star of a wall. They make great menu boards and a very large gold framed chalkboard can become the center of attention in the fancies dining room. 
     In our home I have a large white chalkboard on an easel in the foyer to greet our guests.  You can customise the message to suit your guests or the occasion.  I also have chalkboards hanging in each bathroom of our home.
     This stared years ago when my husband gave our daughter a cat-shaped chalkboard. I  hung it in her bathroom for her to doodle on.  That was twenty years ago and to this day that cat hangs in her bathroom. She has her own place now but the two of us exchange messages on that board every time she comes home.
     Recently her boyfriend visited our home for several weeks. On the day she left, I had come home from taking her to the airport. There on the board was a heart with her name printed in it. Was this a little message left behind by her boyfriend? You never know the power of a chalkboard!

No comments:

Post a Comment