Welcome to My Blog

Welcome to my blog! My hope is to pass along ideas you will enjoy using in your homes and in your lives. No, I am not Oprah, giving you life advice or Nate Berkus redoing your pantry. My point of view is more practical if not occasionally foo-foo. Decorating should be fun and you should change your decor often. My ideas and vintage finds will help you do just that. Oh, and you may get some fun personal and family stories. We are a small family but we do a lot!



Since I started my blog a couple of years ago, I find I am writing more about "ideas" for your life. Or at least, things that happen in my life! Hopefully I put a smile on your face and help you set your dinner table.




Monday, April 16, 2012

Vintage Virginia has arrived in California

      A pretty place setting for a continental breakfast or a little tea served at the table. The napkins, both eyelet and lovely blue, and the yellow plate are new from a popular import store. Everything else is antique. Revere bowls, named after the famous silversmith and statesman, Paul Revere, are one of the most useful pieces you can have in your china cabinet.
      I have written about their usefulness in a previous post. Look  back and reacquaint yourself. I have a few very old trophy's in various sizes that I use to hold flowers or spoons on a tray or buffet table.
     Cloches continue to be popular. I have several around my house that I use in many ways. This is one I bought in Williamsburg, Virginia.  The base is a custom piece and accounted for the  ridiculous price. I just wanted the bell jar! I have moss and little faux birds in this one.
     The picture on the right is a vintage martini set up. I found the vintage martini pitcher in Ashland, Virginia. Everything on it still works, you can unscrew the tops, and it is very clean inside. Often these pieces are rusted shut and therefore unusable. The martini "glasses" are actually candle holders. I bought them for small vases and it was my husband who turned them over and discovered a well for a candle. I like using them for substantial martini glasses. They can be whatever you want them to be!

In this final vignette, here are fragile tea cups, crystal and beautiful silver. How tempting it is to sit for a while and sip a cup of tea. These special spring days invite a little relaxation on the porch with a good book. The life that once was!

2 comments:

  1. OOOOOOH, Big martini's. The best kind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are cloches and bell jars the same thing? Where can I get one? I see them in lots of magazines but never in a store.

    ReplyDelete