Welcome to My Blog

Welcome to my blog! My hope is to pass along ideas you will enjoy using in your homes and in your lives. No, I am not Oprah, giving you life advice or Nate Berkus redoing your pantry. My point of view is more practical if not occasionally foo-foo. Decorating should be fun and you should change your decor often. My ideas and vintage finds will help you do just that. Oh, and you may get some fun personal and family stories. We are a small family but we do a lot!



Since I started my blog a couple of years ago, I find I am writing more about "ideas" for your life. Or at least, things that happen in my life! Hopefully I put a smile on your face and help you set your dinner table.




Monday, June 16, 2014

Look What Will Be at Behind The Picket Fence June 28, 2014

   
Silver is my thing and I will have many beautiful pieces at Behind The Picket Fence on June 28 in Costa Mesa. A nice selection of serving pieces and flatware await you. There are a couple of lovely pieces from the early 20th century. Mid-century trays and vessels are also packed for the show.
     There are many patterns of flatware in silver plate. I rarely buy sterling pieces. Sterling is more expensive of course but I have a different reason for not offering much. The price of silver is rather high right now and has been for some time. There are many shoppers who are looking for cheap prices to sell and have melted down. That's their business but I am in the business of preserving the beauty of the past. The thought of turning a piece of hundred year old silver to dollars upsets me very much.




       The very large spoon in this photo is a dressing spoon. I found this one at an estate sale in Virginia last year. They are fairly common in the East and South but I have rarely seen them in California. You have to love the tiny whisk broom with silver plate handle. It was inside an amazing jewelry box dating to Victorian times. I pointed it out to the seller and she said it was included. It would make a sweet boudoir accessory.

No comments:

Post a Comment