Welcome to My Blog

Welcome to my blog! My hope is to pass along ideas you will enjoy using in your homes and in your lives. No, I am not Oprah, giving you life advice or Nate Berkus redoing your pantry. My point of view is more practical if not occasionally foo-foo. Decorating should be fun and you should change your decor often. My ideas and vintage finds will help you do just that. Oh, and you may get some fun personal and family stories. We are a small family but we do a lot!



Since I started my blog a couple of years ago, I find I am writing more about "ideas" for your life. Or at least, things that happen in my life! Hopefully I put a smile on your face and help you set your dinner table.




Monday, October 25, 2010

Gates and doors and iron works

 There are beautiful gates all over Church Hill. Most are iron gates dating back to the early
19th century but occasionally you see a beautiful wooden gate painted white. Guess which ones I like the best?
 Not only is the white lattice work gate a beauty, look at the wonderful brick walk way. Outside our building the city is relaying the old brick sidewalks. The tree roots cause the bricks to pop up from the ground making for a treacherous walk. Workmen remove the bricks and lay a new sand base. Then the bricks are carefully fitted, sometimes chiseled for a perfect fit and replaced. No
mortar is  used between the bricks. It is heartening to see that these skilled workers
still exists.





Doors

The front door is one of your first impressions when you enter a home. Is is a welcoming color? It the brass polished and shining? Is there a door knocker or bell? Are there flowers beside it? Our home in California has a double door entrance. I have always thought this looked extremely welcoming. The truth is we rarely open both doors. Other than a few parties when our daughter was having teenage parties, the doors have only been opened for huge Christmas trees and new pieces of furniture. I always have wreaths decorated for the season on the doors. Right now there are white wooden heart pockets with little roses inside. Not very fall-like. Oh, but there is a spider web hanging on the unused door. I guess that is my Halloween decoration....or a sign I need to clean the front porch!



I love the flying angel on this door. This is half of a duplex and the other door was painted red.





1 comment:

  1. King Iron Works

    Organized content is the best way to display or post an article, thank you for making it easy to digest your post.

    ReplyDelete