Welcome to My Blog

Welcome to my blog! My hope is to pass along ideas you will enjoy using in your homes and in your lives. No, I am not Oprah, giving you life advice or Nate Berkus redoing your pantry. My point of view is more practical if not occasionally foo-foo. Decorating should be fun and you should change your decor often. My ideas and vintage finds will help you do just that. Oh, and you may get some fun personal and family stories. We are a small family but we do a lot!



Since I started my blog a couple of years ago, I find I am writing more about "ideas" for your life. Or at least, things that happen in my life! Hopefully I put a smile on your face and help you set your dinner table.




Saturday, October 16, 2010

Vignettes

     Here is a pretty little vignette of a corner in a guest powder room. The lamp is made from a silver teapot and I added one of my shades embellished with paper roses and silk leaves. The soap dish is a silver butter dish and there's a hand mirror covered in silk roses. The picture of the lady is an old magazine advertisement for bathroom fixtures. I put it is a 1950's frame which of course, I painted white.
These stacked pedestals are pretty to look at and fun to use. You can use them individually as cake plates or stack them for cupcakes, cookies or appetizers. The top pedestal is a tea cup and saucer. Remove the tea cup to use as a serving plate or arrange fresh flowers in the cup as a pretty topper for your sweets. Sometimes I tie big satin or organdy bows around the stem for an added fussy touch.
     Here is an array of silver serving pieces that have many uses. Trays are not only for serving. You can use them on a buffet table to  hold linen napkins, beautiful stemmed goblets for lemonade, or put one on a table close to your front door to drop the mail on.
     Revere bowls are so called because a very famous silversmith came up with the design....Paul Revere. This piece dates back to the mid 1700's in Boston. My husband and I received so many as wedding gifts years ago, it is a family joke to this day.
     Over the years I have used various size Revere bowls for eggnog, chocolate moose, Halloween candy, potpourri, seashells (currently a huge bowl sits on our piano), nuts in the shells at Christmas, bananas when I want to look old and eccentric, and in a pinch, a litter box for our fussy Himalayan!
You need all sizes in your collection because you never know what might come  up!
     Silver is back and more popular than ever and there is lots of affordable silver plated stuff out there. Oh, and I was just kidding about the kitty litter box....especially if you have ever eaten at my house!

No comments:

Post a Comment