Welcome to My Blog

Welcome to my blog! My hope is to pass along ideas you will enjoy using in your homes and in your lives. No, I am not Oprah, giving you life advice or Nate Berkus redoing your pantry. My point of view is more practical if not occasionally foo-foo. Decorating should be fun and you should change your decor often. My ideas and vintage finds will help you do just that. Oh, and you may get some fun personal and family stories. We are a small family but we do a lot!



Since I started my blog a couple of years ago, I find I am writing more about "ideas" for your life. Or at least, things that happen in my life! Hopefully I put a smile on your face and help you set your dinner table.




Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Day After

      As sunny but cold as the wedding day was, we awoke the next morning to several inches of snow and just as cold temperature. This picture is of my daughter's patio. Having a patio is a rare and unusual treat in the middle of New York. This six story building has two apartments that have patios.It is a great situation. They are not on an alley. There are other apartment buildings behind hers and a double row of patios. They are all connected by a series of gates for fire safety but it is amazingly private. You can see that touch of California with a Weber barbecue in the corner. Also there is one of my chandeliers converted to use candles hanging in the tree that grows from the next door neighbor's patio.

From wedding gowns and black suits to snow boots and Burberry coats, what a difference twenty-four hours can make. Here is the bride plowing through the snow with her father.
Snow in Manhattan is a beautiful thing to me. I do not live there and I can hop on a plane and leave. I do not have to move the car, shovel in front of my steps or even get to work in it. I love snow in the city because it covers the trash, it covers the cars, it covers everything that is unsightly and dirty. It "connects" all that is beautiful. And snow is so peaceful. It always seems quiet when there is snow on the ground. White is a calming presence. We could not have ordered, directly from God, a better two days.
     After a leisurely breakfast and our walk in the snow, the happy couple and the two sets of parents met for a day at The Met. The Metropolitan Museum of Art is a cornerstone of New York City and a special place for our family. For the past forty years, we have spent many happy days enjoying the treasures inside. The grooms family is from the mid-west and had never been to the museum so the visit was a new experience for them.
     We spent  hours wandering from gallery to gallery. The men especially wanted to see the armor and the girls enjoyed the American Wing. We were all awed by the eighty-two foot long Temple of Dendur and marveled at the  Frank Lloyd Wright room.
     The day was relaxing and fun. It was a contrast to the excitement of the previous day but so enjoyable to spend time with family both old and new.


No comments:

Post a Comment