Welcome to My Blog

Welcome to my blog! My hope is to pass along ideas you will enjoy using in your homes and in your lives. No, I am not Oprah, giving you life advice or Nate Berkus redoing your pantry. My point of view is more practical if not occasionally foo-foo. Decorating should be fun and you should change your decor often. My ideas and vintage finds will help you do just that. Oh, and you may get some fun personal and family stories. We are a small family but we do a lot!



Since I started my blog a couple of years ago, I find I am writing more about "ideas" for your life. Or at least, things that happen in my life! Hopefully I put a smile on your face and help you set your dinner table.




Thursday, March 8, 2012

Wedding Luncheon

     Following the ceremony, my husband and I gave a Wedding Luncheon at the River Cafe' with it's wonderful view of lower Manhattan. This is especially a beautiful restaurant in the spring and summer but I must say on a cold winter's day the huge floral display in the lobby and the amazing view of Manhattan across the water is hard to beat. Not only is this a special restaurant, the service is most attentive and the food is pretty good too.
   

     After our wonderful lunch, we walked right next door to the dock and took the Water Taxi for a tour. We barely made it up the gang plank before the boat set sail. The engines were running as we ran. The bride was actually the first one to board to an announcement by the captain and cheers from onlookers. As you can see from the picture, this was planned for sunset. How magical the Manhattan skyline was as we cruised off up the Hudson.
     Our first destination was Liberty Island and a close up view of Lady Liberty. What a glorious and proud moment it is to see her there in her majesty. Remembering the scenes we all endured eleven years ago, it certainly gives you goose bumps and you are proud to be am American. Passing Ellis Island where so many have started their journey to become Americans always is emotional for me.
     Neither my family or my husbands came through Ellis but you cannot help but be touched by the all who have walked the paths and hallways. Although many of the buildings have been restored there are still glimpses of the fallen neglected courtyards and rooms. You feel the presence of the weary families who stood in line to be processed and sent on their way in their new country.
     We went up the western side of Manhattan to views of the Empire Stat Building and the new Freedom Tower being built on the land where the World Trade Towers stood. It was a very cold evening but we were all toasty warm inside. We set foot on land at the South Street Seaport after a perfect relaxing cruise.
     What New York wedding would be complete without a subway ride? I am not sure anyone thought this was necessary other than my daughter but she was insistent. And to make it even more fun, we walked what felt like, twenty blocks, to reach the subway station. The looks we got all day of a beautiful bride, her groom and a parade of parents throughout the city was an experience not to be forgotten. From carriage drivers, to policemen, to trash collectors and the most amazing of all....fire fighters, the attention and interest was amazing. Whoever thinks New Yorkers are not friendly should have been with us. The shouts of "Congratulations", "Happy for you", "Best Wishes",  and thumbs up were constant.
     The exception to this was perhaps the subway. We went pretty much unnoticed through out the entire ride. Riding the subway is  not my favorite thing to do. It has only been in the past year and a half that I would even consider riding those underground trains full of everything known to man and beyond. It's not in my blood. Remember I am from the suburbs and I am a Southerner and a Southern Californian. Nothing in my life has prepared me for New York City subways.
      The key to my success in riding is having my entire family with me at all times. I can talk non-stop to them and that occupies my mind. Now lately those trains have been stopping in those tunnels for long periods of time and there has been some train-horn-honking. That does not help. This was a happy occasion though so I grabbed that bouquet of roses, held it to my nose and rode off into the darkened tunnel without a thought or at least just a few tiny thoughts.

4 comments:

  1. What was the menu for the wedding luncheon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the view of Manhattan. Was this from the water taxi?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this restaurant. My son's wedding reception was held there a few years ago. Beautiful view and wonderful service.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the Manhattan skyline photo was take from the boat. Beautiful, isn't it? And yes, The River Cafe is a lovely place. We really wanted to have the luncheon at our daughter's apartment but there just was not room. Although I do not like entertaining in public places, this was as good as it gets.

    ReplyDelete