Welcome to My Blog

Welcome to my blog! My hope is to pass along ideas you will enjoy using in your homes and in your lives. No, I am not Oprah, giving you life advice or Nate Berkus redoing your pantry. My point of view is more practical if not occasionally foo-foo. Decorating should be fun and you should change your decor often. My ideas and vintage finds will help you do just that. Oh, and you may get some fun personal and family stories. We are a small family but we do a lot!



Since I started my blog a couple of years ago, I find I am writing more about "ideas" for your life. Or at least, things that happen in my life! Hopefully I put a smile on your face and help you set your dinner table.




Thursday, March 1, 2012

Wedding Morning

Back in the 70's I remember my first solo walk through Central Park. My husband was in the city on business and I joined him for a few days. During the day I was on my own. Most of my time was spent either at The Met wandering through the galleries in a dream or shopping on Fifth Avenue. One day I decided to take off to Central Park, alone. Remember this was the 70's. New York was not the safest city in the country. The stories of gold chains being ripped from your neck were especially popular. I am happy to report I walked most of the length of the park that day. At the end, I had the same feeling I had when we completed our first white water rapids trip. I can do ANYTHING now! Some thirty odd years later, I shall draw on that strength to be my daughter's wedding photographer for the morning. 
My daughter has lived close to Central Park since she first moved to New York. It is a beautiful spot in the middle of this wonderful city. She has had many happy times in the park and as a family we have shared a few of our own. She wanted pictures made in the park and I was more than happy to be her photographer.When we first decided to do pictures in the park, I envisioned the bridal couple and my husband and I walking around the park and actually spending a little time setting up shots as I am accustomed to doing when I take photos for someone. Well, that did not turn out to be the case. Every family and from what I read, every wedding, has that one family member who you can count on to "alter" the day. That is to shame, embarrass or merely call attention to themselves and everyone else who is present. It may be that one cousin who is very loud, the uncle who drinks too much or the great aunt who wears the same black dress to every wedding. Or it may be one entire branch of the family tree!!!Sometimes the distraction is a serious problem, like you may be asked to remove the offending relative from the reception venue or it may simply be added humor to the day. On this particular morning it was just a change of plans. We all know the convenience and simplicity of point and shoot cameras. They can be annoying at any wedding and sometimes they are banned from the events. Since this was a very small affair it never occurred to myself or my daughter that these little marvels of technology could be a problem. I guess that depends on who it pointing and shooting. I can sum up this topic by saying, the first three attempts at setting up a shot was spoiled by someone jumping in the face of the bride and groom with their pocket miracle, the point and shoot camera. It took no more to bring me to the decision that we would be happy with family snapshots!  If there is one thing I learned on the day of my only daughter's wedding,  whatever you plans might have been, you must have flexibility....and lots of it. The quality of the pictures is not what I had hoped for but we have a good record of a family event that will linger forever!



No comments:

Post a Comment